Tuesday, April 5, 2016

ROUND 2 | patterns & effects

QUESTIONS TO EXPLORE: round 2

1. How does outside interaction impact the legibility of a message?
2. What happens to the legibility if the layers of a collage are removed over time?
3. How does the legibility (or lack of) impact the message?



INSPIRATION:



 





ROUND 1: 
PATTERN PLAY
How does outside interaction impact the legibility of a message?







DIGITAL MOCK-UP OF THE WALL INSTALLATION


WALL INSTALLATION GIF (FINAL RESULTS OF ROUND 1 / QUESTION 1


LEARNED:
1. The patterns with more white space cause you to lose parts of the original form of the letter.
2. Because the word never changed, only the patterns did, the legibility was often inferred.

3. There was a tendency to take from one area to see wha the next pattern was. Curiosity set in!
4. Adding outside interaction took away control of determining the legible outcome.






ROUND 2:
EFFECTS AND DISTORTION
What happens to legibility if the layers of a collage are removed over time?






LEARNED:
1. Because the word never changed, only the patterns did, the legibility was often inferred.
2. The effects tended to hold on to the some aspect of the original letterform.
3. Our brains often infer what something says from the first few letters, complete legibility is often not necessary.






ROUND 3: 
COMPOSITION AND MESSAGE
3. How does the legibility (or lack of) impact the message?





LEARNED:
1. By cutting each letter differently and applying patterns at random, I was able to remove all the rules I originally made for myself in round 1 and collage a typeface together in a more experimental way. (still used Futura though because... it's beautiful)







ROUND 4...? 
WHEN YOU'RE AT THE DESIGN BUILDING AT MIDNIGHT!













REFLECTION: 
I think I did a lot more experimenting in this round than round 1. I tried to stay away from setting myself strict rule about how I explored each question. Although I don't have as much to physically show this round, I think I still went in depth on each question and fully answered each with the route chosen. So far these two rounds of exploration have been really different than what I first thought when choosing this subject. Collage typography can be so traditional and basic and I have really tried to stay away from that and take it in a completely unexpected route. 

Adding outside interaction was actually a lot of fun. I really enjoyed coming to the building everyday and seeing how it was turning out! With more time and space I think something even cooler could come from further developing the question of, how does outside interaction play a part in collage typography and the legibility of the message? 

Although I want to further work with motion and how that plays a part in collage, I think the next round it's time to make some handmade things and maybe see how those elements can be added in motion graphics and gifs. Although handmade collage is the traditional overdone part that I was attempting to stay away from, the different distortion techniques and effects that can be created digitally verses handmade are almost endless. 

All in all, I'm happy with how this round turned out. I think there is more that could be added to these questions that I pursued, so maybe in the next round I can alter and combine some questions and further the idea of outside interaction, motion, and also handmade vs digital elements. 

WHAT'S NEXT: round 3 question to explore
1. What kinds of distortion can be created digitally vs. handmade?



WOOOOOOOOO! COLLAGE! AND THAT'S A WRAP ON ROUND NUMERO DOS!

No comments:

Post a Comment